A modern DP computer system relies on sophisticated and complex software to achieve the desired performance and safety. DNV GL helps to secure DP operations through verification and testing of control system software based on hardware-in-the-loop testing (HIL).
DP HIL testing is accomplished by connecting our vessel-specific simulator to the target DP control system. The simulator responds to the commands from the DP control system in a realistic manner, and feedback from sensors and actuators to the control system is simulated according to the vessel-specific equipment. The control system responds as it would in real operation on board the vessel. Functionality and failure handling capability can then be tested systematically in a controlled environment.
The DNV GL vessel simulator includes models of the environment (wind, current, waves), six-degrees-of-freedom vessel dynamics, the complete propulsion system, including thrust losses and interaction between the thruster and hull, the power system, all position reference systems and all relevant sensors.
Benefits of HIL testing of DP control systems with DNV GL:
- DP HIL testing verifies correct functionality of the DP computer system according to rules and regulations, functional descriptions, intended use and user manuals
- Detect hidden software errors, erroneous configuration parameters and design flaws in the control system software
- Ensure that the control system software is ready and verified as extensively as possible before the start of commissioning
- Safe and efficient operations through systematic testing in a controlled environment
- Verification and validation of the control system through on-board testing secures functionality under sea trial or commissioning
- Avoid introduction of weaknesses or errors in operation through periodic testing of software or hardware updates/upgrades
- Secure functionality after introduction of changes in operational conditions