Development of advanced energy storage technologies and applications are on the rise. The lack of standards for technologies and standardized tests for applications pose challenges to compare technologies and applications in this emerging and expanding field. DNV GL helps manufacturers and end users find and develop optimal energy storage systems for specific applications, through our independent testing and verification services available on-site or at our lab.
Especially on the technical and safety performance of energy storage systems, the real performance strongly depends on the way the energy storage system is used (what the charging anddischarging profiles look like). The test facilities of DNV GL can help you to study the technical and safety performance of energy storage systems in any situation.
This helps to compare storage systems, to evaluate the total costs of ownership and to check whether storage systems are suitable for a certain application.
We deliver a wide variety of services and solutions that cater to all your needs, helping to tackle specific challenges:
- Identifying how the advanced energy devices can help your company
- Insight into regulatory aspects
- Technology assessments of advanced technologies such as energy storage
- Performance measurements and modeling of new applications
- Application level testing
- Functional testing
- Validating and expert witnessing services
- Integration (interconnection requirements, regulation response)
- Life cycle tests to predict the expected life span of your product
- Safety tests such as drop tests, fire tests, crush tests and overload
- Grid tests and modeling of grid-connected storage applications
Additionally, we can perform a large variety of tests on any direct current (DC) energy source, e.g. battery, charger and fuel cells.
Battery test laboratories
We offer testing on all levels:
- 8 channel 5V/5A (prototype) cell testing
- 4 channel 60V/50A cell/module testing
- 1 channel 100V/400A module testing
- 1 channel 500V/1000A pack level testing (available Q4 2012)
- System level incl. power converters (up to 10kV, up to 3 MW)
- Stand alone, mobile (EV), and grid-connected systems
These tests can provide insights into the performance of your energy storage system. DNV GL’s test facilities help you to study the technical and safety performance of energy storage systems in any situation. Situations can be characterized by standardized or customized performance profiles, during the tests the storage systems will be charged and discharged according to these profiles.
This can be done in a temperature chamber to take into account temperature influences as well. This helps to compare storage systems, to evaluate the total costs of ownership and to check whether storage systems are suitable for a certain application.