Structures, components and systems often require testing at full scale in realistic environments.
With a unique network of full-scale test sites and laboratories in the UK (Spadeadam), Norway (Høvik and Bergen), Singapore, the Netherlands (Groningen) and the US (Columbus, OH), DNV GL helps build trust in new innovative solutions, undertakes the qualification of components and equipment, and finds solutions to improve the integrity of structures and components.
We have laboratories for most types of structural large-scale testing in a realistic and controlled environment. These include Spadeadam, a world-leading research and testing facility working for heavy industry and government agencies. Its remote location on more than 3500 hectares of secure Ministry of Defence land means we can carry out explosion, fire and gas dispersion testing within a secure exclusion zone.
DNV GL full-scale testing is relevant for:
- Offshore and onshore pipelines
- Offshore structures
- Mooring and risers
- Process plants (pressure vessels, equipment, pipework)
- Subsea equipment
- Ships and transportation industry
- Wind turbines
What we offer:
- Explosion and fire testing
- Gas dispersion testing
- Large-scale sour and CO2 capabilities
- Up to 25 MN (2500 mTon) dynamic test rigs
- Purpose built test rigs
- Development of rules and standards - calibration of design equations
- Design verification and proof load testing
- Production verification testing
- Qualifying and verifying technology and fabrication processes
- Qualification of new technical solutions (using DNV GL Recommended Practices)
- New insights into innovative solutions and components
- Testing in realistic environments
- Seven laboratories with more than 5000 m2 total lab area
- Jacks, actuators and hydraulic systems capable of +/- 25.000 kN dynamic, and more than 100.000 kN static load
- Available test conditions for static and dynamic loading, combined loading conditions, external and internal pressure, cryogenic and elevated temperature, and harsh or aggressive environments
- State of the art instrumentation, including DIC, high speed logging equipment, and +100 logging channels.