The quality of materials is crucial to the quality of products and the safety of systems.
Whether you supply raw materials, run a production facility, or operate complex technical equipment, efficient and reliable materials qualification improves safety and technical performance, and reduces risks and costs. Defining the right tests requires expertise in both materials and systems.
DNV GL has specialised materials laboratories located in Norway (Oslo and Bergen), UK (Loughborough), Germany (Hamburg, Mulheim, Stuttgart and Herne), Singapore and the US (Columbus, OH). We carry out qualification testing of:
- Steels and other metallic materials
- Polymer based composites, rubber materials and fibre ropes.
Our customers cover the entire oil and gas value chain, and we also serve other industries such as maritime and automotive.
A material qualification will typically verify material properties according to a specification, code or standard or as part of a customised fitness for service assessment, and will determine:
- Chemical composition
- Mechanical properties (yield strength, tensile strength, toughness, hardness)
- Metallographic features (microstructure, grain size, heat treatment)
- Corrosion properties
- Fracture mechanics and fatigue properties.
The aim of corrosion testing is to understand resistance to degradation by corrosion mechanisms or hydrogen-induced stress cracking (HISC), and to select appropriate actions to reduce the risk of failure. We carry out qualification testing, to meet requirements, to sour service, coatings, anode testing and others, and run specific test setups to simulate operational environments including corrosion in seawater, microbiological influenced corrosion (MIC), and stress corrosion cracking (SCC).
Our laboratories contribute to quality assurance during production by carrying out a broad range of destructive and non-destructive testing (NDT) using the latest technical equipment.
What we offer:
- Rapid, reliable and certified results from an independent authority
- Transportation of samples
- High-precision testing
- Rapid workflows, smooth processing and minimal waiting periods
- Corrosion testing
- Soft seal testing
- Fracture mechanical testing
- Fatigue testing
- Coating testing
- Sour service testing
- Accredited labs (DIN EN ISO 17025)
- Material certificates in compliance with DIN EN 10204.